The sun is coming out as we head into warmer months, so as the layers get lighter and more skin is out, let’s talk about laser hair removal. Who likes shaving, tweezing, or waxing? Not us! Whether you’re in search of smooth, silky skin with no maintenance or need a little “man”scaping to control your masculine tufts of hair, we’ll walk you through Laser Hair Removal 101 and all the frequently asked questions.
What are the benefits of laser hair removal?
- Increase your confidence! Believe it or not, increased confidence is one of the top things patients site as a benefit of laser hair removal. We continue to hear people talk about how they are self-conscious about their unwanted hair and how removing it so they can go carefree helps them feel confident.
- No more shaving, waxing, tweezing, or worrying there is hair showing where you don’t want it. Laser hair removal is much easier, longer lasting, and considerably less painful. It most patients it is permanent and hair does not regrow. Think how it would be to never shave again!
- It saves you time. Think of how much time you spend shaving and purchasing products to shave with.
- It saves you money! Add up all the money you spend on razors, shaving cream, waxing/tweezing — then hit delete.
- No more ingrown hairs, red shaving bumps, or razor burn.
- Don’t need a razor on vacation. Even if you’ll be wearing a swimsuit the whole trip!
- No embarrassing hair because you forgot to shave. Or when you get out in the sun and realize you missed a spot! Doh!
- Eliminate unwanted facial hair for men and women. As men age, hair continues to grow in other areas such as ears and eyebrows, and women may possibly find more hair on the upper lip and chin.
- Remove neck hair for more comfort. Men who wear collared shirts and suits often complain of the hair on the back of the neck being irritated by collars. Good-bye low hair line!
- Take care of your “down there.” Shaving around your genital region can be painful and challenging. Laser hair removal can take care of your bikini area or “bro-zilian” so you never have to worry about it again.
- Your significant other will love how smooth your skin feels. And let’s face it, so will you!
So now that you know why you want laser hair removal, let’s talk about what it is, how it works, and other common questions about laser hair removal.
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the U.S., frequently used by both men and women for removing unwanted hair. It’s a fast procedure, requires no downtime, and after several treatments, can reduce or eliminate hair growth altogether.
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal uses beams of highly concentrated light that are targeted at hair follicles. The follicles absorb the light, which in turn destroys unwanted hair from legs, underarms, bikini area, chest, face or other area. The light pulses take mere seconds and can treat several hairs at once, while leaving the skin undamaged.
How long does a laser hair removal treatment take? How many treatments will I need?
Treatment can range as little as a few minutes for a small area, such as underarms or upper lip, to an hour for larger areas, like legs or back. After 4-6 treatments, you can generally expect a permanent reduction in hair.
What are the most common places for laser hair removal?
A few common areas for women are the arm pits, legs, upper lip, bikini line, and chin.
Some of the most common areas for men are neck, chest, back, and arms.
What kind of laser is used for laser hair removal?
Lasers used for hair removal are FDA-approved and can be used on any area of the body. The laser we use at Vitality health is the Cutera Excel HR. This is a brand new, top-of-the-line laser using both wave forms 755 and 1064. This is one of the only lasers on the market that treats all 6 skin types (I-VI). It also treats hair removal, spider veins, and hyperpigmentation spots or “dark” spots. It is one of the most comfortable lasers on the market, causing less discomfort or pain than other lasers. Our laser has a cooling tip that protects the top layer of the skin while the light wave pulses deep into the hair follicle or vein.
What is a laser hair removal treatment like?
The overall process and experience can range depending on your laser hair removal provider. At Vitality Health, we try to make it a positive, spa experience. We play music of the patient’s choice, have an aromatherapy diffuser, and provide a spa wrap, if desired. The goal is to make you feel at ease and as relaxed as possible. Below is step by step what you can expect from a laser hair removal treatment session.
- Shave the area 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Complete paperwork upon arrival.
- Enter treatment room and change into spa wrap.
- Apply topical numbing cream that sits for 20 minutes if you request it, particularly for sensitive areas. It can also be sent home before your appointment.
- Put on goggles to protect eyes.
- Warm ultrasound gel applied to skin.
- Test spot of laser on you to assess skin. The laser equipment will be adjusted according to the color, thickness, and location of your hair being treated as well as your skin color.
- Treat area with laser. Time can vary based on the size and sensitivity of the area.
- Apply Topical Arnica (a topical pain relief cream) or ice, if needed.
- Carry on with your day. No down time necessary.
How should I choose someone to perform laser hair removal treatments?
As far as choosing a provider, you should select someone you trust and who makes you feel secure. One thing that is fairly unique about getting laser hair removal at Vitality Health is that our laser is operated by physicians, PAs, and nurse practitioners with the highest standards of professionalism and training. Many places allow people with far less training to operate the laser, so do your research on who is performing your procedure.
Do I have to grow my hair out for laser hair removal?
It is actually a misconception that you have to grow the hair out for laser hair removal like you do for waxing. With laser, you do not want to wax or pluck within 6 weeks prior to treatment, but you can shave. It is actually optimal to shave within 24 hours prior to treatment so the hair is as close to the skin as possible.
Now that you’re educated on some of the frequently asked questions of laser hair removal, get started with an appointment here.